Applications are currently being received for the AERC PhD Thesis Research Scholarship. This African Economic Research Consortium program provides support for PhD thesis research to African graduate students registered in a PhD degree program in Economics at institutions within or outside Africa. The support will be specific to students whose thesis research proposal is on human capital development in Africa. Research could also be targeted on a country or region.
The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) was established in 1988 as a public not-for-profit organization devoted to the advancement of economic policy research and training in Africa. The Consortium’s mandate and strategic intent are built on the basis that sustained development in sub-Saharan Africa requires well-trained, locally-based professional economists. AERC agitates the provision of capacity building in economic policy in Francophone and Anglophone African countries through the provision of support in the areas of policy research and graduate training.
- Host Institution: Check full list below.
- Field of study: Economics and related topics.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Not specified.
- Target Group: Open to African students.
Also Check : Commonwealth Split-Site Scholarships, 2024-2025
AERC PhD Thesis Research Scholarship Benefits
This African Economic Research Consortium scholarship provides support for PhD thesis research to African graduate students registered in a PhD degree program in Economics.
The 2023-2024 scholarship is open for applicants from Francophone and Anglophone sub-Saharan African countries admitted into any of the following AERC Collaborative PhD Programme (CPP) in Economics degree-awarding universities:
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Benin, Nigeria
- University of Yaoundé II, Cameroon
- University of Abomey-Calavi, Benin
- Félix Houphouet-Boigny University, Ivory Coast.
AERC PhD Thesis Research Scholarship Eligibility
Graduate students are eligible to apply for this award provided they:
- Have applied and been admitted to any one of the listed CPP universities above;
- Have attained at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or equivalent in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related field from an accredited university;
- Have a Master’s degree (with coursework and thesis component) in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or related fields from a recognized University. The coursework should have covered microeconomics, quantitative methods, and econometrics;
- Possession of at least 1 relevant publication in a refereed journal will be an added advantage;
- Evidence of engagement in economic management, research and/or training in the public sector will be an added advantage; and
- Female and applicants from post-conflict and fragile states (especially the AERC PhD Bridge Programme alumni class of 2017 and 2018) are encouraged to apply.
- EPOS DAAD Scholarships In Germany For Development;
- Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships in Germany;
- CSA Group Graduate Scholarship to Study in Canada.
How to Apply for the AERC PhD Thesis Research Scholarship
Eligible candidates who wish to apply for this university scholarship must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective universities (the application procedure can be obtained from the respective university’s website). Upon receipt of an admission letter from a specific university, applicants shall upload the following documents to the AERC scholarship portal. Please click on the “apply” button to access the portal.
- Application cover letter;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Evidence of admission at any of the universities listed above; and
- Certified copies of transcripts and certificates.
The deadline for applying for the PhD thesis research grant is August 31, 2023. Please visit the official page to learn more about the AERC PhD Thesis Research Scholarship. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.