Applications for the Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship are currently being accepted. Created by the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) of the People’s Republic of China, the program aims to sponsor young and middle-aged talents from recipient countries to pursue their postgraduate degree education in China.
MOFCOM scholarships are fully funded and provide the necessary funding to selected students during their study period. The program is available for candidates to pursue a Master’s degree or PhD degree at one of the partner institutions in China>.
Candidates will be able to study in a wide range of fields of study available at partner institutions for the program. The MOFCOM (Ministry of Commerce – China) Scholarship wish to further strengthen the communication and cooperation between China and other countries as well as to develop talents for developing countries.
- Host Institutions: Please check the full list below.
- Field of Study: International Relations, Public Administration, Engineering Management, Management Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Journalism and Communication, Chinese Economy, Science in Finance, Chinese Law, Educational Leadership, Advanced Learning Technology, Contemporary China, Ecological Environment Protection and Management, World Economy and China, Chinese Philosophy, Logistics Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Technology, Electrical Engineering, International Trade and more.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: MOFCOM Scholarship supports Master’s program for 2-3 years or PhD program for 3 years.
- Eligible countries: Open to all Nationalities (non-Chinese citizens).
Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship Benefits
The MOFCOM scholarship is fully funded and will provide winners with the following benefits:
- Students are exempt from tuition fee, teaching material fee, research and survey fee, allowance of English-taught program, dissertation guidance fee;
- Free on-campus accommodation;
- Monthly stipend:
- One-off resettlement fee: 3000 RMB per person;
- Free medical insurance for international students;
- One-time round-trip international airfare for all the students (First time fly to China after enrollment, and Fly back to the home country while graduation), and a maximum of ‘n-1’ (‘n’ is for the length of schooling year which is set while the student was enrolled by the program, ‘n’ is less than or equal to three) round-trip international airfares for home visits (one time per year set at the end of an academic year);
- The annual review is compulsory for all students. Those who pass the review may continue to enjoy full Scholarships in the next year.
- Other expenses shall be managed and used by the Ministry of Commerce or the universities as a whole, and shall not be distributed to students. The Ministry of Commerce only provides students with financial assistance within their enrolled academic duration. Students who postpone their graduation will not receive the continuing sponsorship.
Universities That Host MOFCOM Scholarship students
The list below contains the names of universities that can host MOFCOM Scholarship winners.
- Peking University
- Tsinghua University
- Renmin University of China
- Beijing Normal University
- Beijing Jiaotong University
- University of International Business and Economics
- Beihang University
- Nankai University
- Tianjin University
- Jilin University
- Fudan University
- Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Tongji University
- East China Normal University
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- Nanjing University
- Zhejiang University
- Xiamen University
- Shandong University
- Wuhan University
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Wuhan University of Technology
- Sun Yat-sen University
- Southwest Jiaotong University
- Xi’an Jiaotong University
- Harbin Institute of Technology.
Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for this Asia scholarships program, applicants must be:
- a citizen of a developing country other than the People’s Republic of China, and under the age of 45 (born after September 1, 1978);
- healthy physically and mentally with a physical examination report issued by a local public hospital, and not having any disease or situation listed below:
- Diseases prohibited by Chinese Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Laws and Regulations;
- Other severe chronic diseases like high blood pressure, cardio-cerebrovascular disease, diabetes, psychological diseases, or other infectious diseases which may harm public health;
- In recovery period after major surgery or acute disease attacks;
- Severe physically challenged;
- with at least three years working experience;
- a bachelor’s degree holder when applying for a master’s program or a master’s degree holder when applying for a doctoral program;
- incumbents with a relevant educational background or working experience to the applied program are preferred;
- public officials of division level and above (or corresponding level) in government sectors, or senior management staff of organizations and enterprises, or academic backbones of universities and research institutions;
- sufficient in English which meets the academic requirements of the program (equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 80 and above level);
- with the potential of professional development, and is committed to promoting friendly exchanges and cooperation between the host country and China;
- neither studying in China nor being admitted to other scholarship programs provided by the Chinese government.
- Government of Romania MEAT Scholarship;
- EPOS DAAD Scholarships In Germany For Development;
- Singapore Government Scholarship.
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for this government scholarship should follow steps below:
- Click on the apply button below;
- Read “Tips for online application” carefully before clicking ‘NEXT’ on the registration page.
- Log in with your username and password. For new users, please click ‘Create an account for registration.
- Fill in the correct Program Category and Agency Number. The Program Category is: Type A and the Agency Number is: 00010. Once the correct ‘Agency Number’ is entered, the name of the agency will automatically emerge.
- Fill in the online application form and upload Supporting Documents.
- Check each part of your application carefully before submitting it. Click Submit to submit your Application.
- You can make changes to your application by clicking Withdraw and Edit the Application on the top of the page and resubmit it again
- Download the completed application form by clicking Print the Application Form and print two hard copies.
- Photocopy of highest diploma;
- Photocopy of academic transcripts;
- A Study Plan or Research Proposal, plus a resume including the educational background and working experience after high school;
- Two recommendation letters, including one from current employer and one from an academic perspective;
- Photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form;
- Photocopy of the English proficiency certificate;
- Photocopy of a valid passport;
- Non-criminal Record Report. The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issued by the local public security authority, usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application.
- The applicants shall obtain approval and recommendation from the relevant department of the host country before applying for this scholarship.
- For the applicants whose host government allows them to submit the application directly to the Embassy of China, please obtain permission or a recommendation letter from the host government which states that the applicant has been approved to study in China, and submit the original documents of the letter and other above-mentioned application documents to the Economic and Commercial Counselor’s Office (ECCO) of Chinese Embassy in the host country. The scanned electronic edition of the documents is needed as well. For emails and addresses of the Economic and Commercial Counsellor’s Offices, please visit http://www.china-aibo.cn.
- The responsible department of the host government shall submit a written request to the ECCO of the Chinese Embassy for an official recommendation letter and clearly state:
- Whether the applicant is willing to be considered for a similar program at other universities if the applied programs could not accept the applicant.
- Other special requests if any.
The ECCO of the Chinese Embassy in your country should be open for application until June 6, 2023. However, the application deadline may vary per receiving institution. For more details, please refer to the CSC Scholarship Application Tips and Tricks and visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.