Applications are being received for the Colombia Government Scholarship. The scholarship program has been created by the Colombian government in collaboration with various educational institutions to promote educational access and excellence, empower talented individuals. This government scholarships program aims to foster academic excellence, research capabilities, and cross-cultural understanding among the recipients. This financial assistance program ensures that talented individuals from diverse backgrounds have the opportunity to access quality education and contribute to the socio-economic development of their countries. The program seeks to nurture future leaders, professionals, and change-makers who will contribute to the progress of humanity.
Fully funded, the Beca Colombia scholarships program is open for foreigners who wish to pursue postgraduate studies in specialization, master’s, and doctorate degrees in public and private Colombian higher education institutions in accordance with the 2023-2 ACADEMIC OFFER CATALOG. Furthermore, applicants must be foreign citizens of any nationality who do not have dual nationality (Colombian), who are not residing in Colombia, who have not been beneficiaries of this program in previous calls and who have a professional or bachelor’s degree.
Foreigners from non-Spanish speaking countries who need to strengthen their Spanish language to carry out their postgraduate studies will attend a language class. Once the Spanish course is completed, the beneficiary agrees to prioritize their application to the postgraduate programs of the Institution that grants the course, according to the “2024 ACADEMIC OFFER CATALOG”, which will be published in 2024. ICETEX is a Colombian State institution that promotes Higher Education by providing scholarship to talented foreign individuals with lower economic possibilities.
- Host Institution: Partner educational institution in Colombia. Please click here to see the full list.
- Eligible programs: Available programs in this document.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Up to 6 months (perfectioning of Spanish), Up to 18 months (specialization), Up to 24 months (Master’s), Up to 48 months (doctorate).
- Target group: Open to citizens of all nationalities.
Colombia Government Scholarship Benefits
Selected candidates for this Latin America scholarship program will have the following benefits:
- Enrollment: The coverage of the entire tuition will be granted by the Colombian higher education institution.
- Health Policy/Medical Insurance: Medical and hospital assistance in Colombia that includes repatriation in case of disability or death. This assistance is only covered during the study period in Colombia and only to the scholarship recipient, it is not extended to family members. Scholars must bear the cost of prescription drugs and a moderate fee for medical examinations.
- Courtesy visa: ICETEX will send each fellow a letter for the online application of the courtesy visa type “V” visa, which will be granted by the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs during the study period.
- Living Expenses/monthly support: ICETEX will support each foreign scholarship holder with a monthly support (living expenses) amounting to three current legal monthly minimum wages (in Colombian Pesos).
- Installation expenses: ICETEX will support each scholarship holder with an amount for installation expenses in Colombia. This item will be granted only to those who are in Colombian territory carrying out in person studies.
- Expenses of books and materials: For each year of study, ICETEX will support each scholarship holder with a value for books and materials, specialization scholarship holders will receive a single support, Master’s scholarship holders will receive up to two supports and doctorate scholarship holders between three and four according to the time of their study.
- Unforeseen Costs: This value will only be paid once during the entire study program and must be approved by ICETEX when the scholarship holder suffers an unforeseen event that impacts the performance of his academic obligations.
Colombia Government Scholarship Eligibility
Those who wish to apply for the Beca Colombia scholarship program must meet the following requirements:
- be a foreign citizen
- Not have Colombian nationality.
- Not be residing, nor have resided the last 6 months prior to applying for the scholarship in Colombian territory or have started studies in Colombia at the time of application to the corresponding call.
- Must not have any marital or de facto relationship in Colombia.
- Not having been a beneficiary of ICETEX through the Beca Colombia program.
- Not be older than 50 years.
- Have a cumulative general average of 4.0 out of 5.0 in undergraduate to apply for the call. According to the grading scale of each country, the note must be equivalent to a minimum of 4.0 for the Colombian scale.
- Have a professional, undergraduate, or graduate degree in any area of knowledge.
- Have admission to at least one postgraduate program in the eligible program file.
- Have good physical and mental health, certified by a doctor.
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships;
- Government of Romania MEAT Scholarship.
- Italian Government Scholarship for Foreign and Italian Citizens.
How to Apply for this Colombia Government Scholarship
Eligible candidates who would like to apply for this government scholarship should click on the apply button below to create an account and follow instructions to submit their applications.
- Letter of pre- admission or final admission from the university: The letter of final admission to the academic program must be issued by the Colombian university to which the foreign candidate applied and must specify the start and end dates of the academic program. The candidate may submit from one to three letters and must establish the priority order of each academic program in the essay. All letters of admission must be for programs that start in the second semester of 2023. Letters of admission will not be accepted for programs that start in the first semester of 2023, nor in later semesters.
- Letter of Academic Recommendation: This letter must be issued by a professor at the university where you completed your undergraduate studies.
- Certificate of undergraduate or graduate transcripts: Document that certifies the undergraduate or graduate studies in which a minimum average of 4 out of 5 or its equivalent to the Colombian grade scale. Your former university must include the grading scale where the minimum passing grade is recorded, to be able to establish a comparison with the Colombian grading system. This document may be evaluated in Spanish, Portuguese, French or English, if your original language is not either of these four, you must attach official translation into Spanish or English.
- Essay: The document must be a maximum of two (2) pages and argue the importance of studying in Colombia and the impact it will generate for your personal and professional development, and the application upon your return to your country of origin. Those who applied to several programs, must set the order of priority, from 1 to 3.
- Copy of valid passport: Copy of the first page of the current passport (with a minimum validity of one year).
- Copies university degrees or diplomas: The copy of the diploma must be certified by the home university or may be notarized.
- Resume or CV: max two pages.
- Health Certificate: The health certificate must indicate your state of physical and mental health. It may not be greater than thirty days at the time of applying to the call. It must have the signature and stamp of the doctor who issued the certificate.
- Professional Experience Certificate.
Note: Each candidate must personally apply for admission to postgraduate programs directly with higher education institutions or universities. All documents must be attached to the application platform, no physical documents will be received for any reason or outside the deadline of the call.
The selected foreign candidate will not be able to change the Program or the University, and only the definitive admission letter(s) presented within the documentation initially received by ICETEX will be taken. The candidate can apply to up to three postgraduate programs that are in the catalog and in the letter of motivation must establish the priority of each one.
The application deadline is June 12, 2023. Please visit the official page for more details on the Colombia Government Scholarship. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.