The Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowship for Tomorrow’s Leaders is targeted at university graduates from South Africa, the United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People’s Republic of China, Brazil and India who have an international outlook and initial leadership experience. It addresses prospective decision-makers, multipliers, and thought leaders from a broad range of professional fields such as politics, public administration, and business as well as society and culture.
The fellowships allow them to spend a year in Germany networking with other prospective leaders from abroad, who are also sponsored by the Humboldt Foundation, and explore new solutions to the global issues of our times. With this program Germany once again presents itself as a destination of choice for intercultural dialogue and as a meeting place for the international leaders of tomorrow.
- Host Institution(s): Institutions in Germany and Europe.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: up to one year.
- Target group: Open to citizens of South Africa, the United States, the Russian Federation, The People’s Republic of China, Brazil and India.
German Chancellor Fellowship for Tomorrow’s Leaders Benefits
The Fellowship program is a fully funded program that provides successful applicants with the followings:
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,000 euros, 2,300 euros or 2,600 euros depending on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship,
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g., for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or an additional German language course
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society,
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organize smaller network formats with other fellows,
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as several events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular, to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany throughout your entire professional career
- Your host institution will receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 500 euros.
The program provides funding for fellows who do not already speak German fluently to attend German language courses both before they begin their fellowship and during their stay. In particular, the Foundation awards language fellowships covering an intensive language course of up to three months immediately prior to the start of the fellowship in Germany. Accompanying marital partners may also receive funding for language courses under certain circumstances as shown below:
- lump sum for the fellow’s travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party;
- family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months (up to 346 EUR a month for marital partners and up to 289 EUR a month per child);
- for single-parents: flat-rate allowances for accompanying children under the age of 18 for stays of at least three months (400 EUR a month for the first child and 100 EUR a month for every additional child);
- Europe allowance for a stay at an institute in another European country (though not the fellow’s own country); for one to two months during the fellowship if necessary to ensure the success of the project;
- extensive alumni sponsorship after the stay in Germany has been completed successfully, in particular, to promote networking with cooperation partners in Germany during the further professional career of the alumni.
German Chancellor Fellowship for Tomorrow’s Leaders Eligibility
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers, and thought leaders – regardless of industry. You are invited to apply if you:
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, Russian, South African or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society, or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating these twelve years is 1 October 2024.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German.
Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months immediately before the application deadline (15 October of each year) may not apply. Anyone who has already been sponsored by the Humboldt Foundation with a fellowship is not eligible to apply or reapply for any fellowship of the Foundation. They should turn to the Foundation’s Alumni Programme to get support for further stays in Germany.
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD;
- Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians;
- World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program.
Applicants are chosen in a quality-oriented selection procedure based on the following criteria:
- previous career and leadership potential;
- significance of fellowship for further career development;
- potential to build bridges between the country of origin and Germany;
- international outlook and future role as an international leader;
- existing knowledge to help complete the project successfully;
- persuasiveness of project plan and relevance to societal dialogue.
How to Apply for the German Chancellor Fellowship for Tomorrow’s Leaders
Eligible applicants should submit their application by using the apply button below and following the given instructions.
Applications will be received from March 15 to October 15, 2023. For more details on the German Chancellor Fellowship for Tomorrow’s Leaders, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.