The KAIST International Graduate Students Scholarship is offered by the Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) to support International Students willing to pursue studies at Masters or Ph.D. degree level at the institute. The aim of the KAIST institute scholarship program is to attract the brightest minds that are able to contribute to its research activities.
The scholarship is fully funded and provides full tuition fee waiver, living expenses, Medical Insurance, and additional funds for research assistantship. The KAIST Graduate Scholarship is open for a wide range of programs offered at the graduate level. This is a great opportunity for international students to study in South Korea.
The Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology is a national research university located in Daedeok Innopolis, in South Korea. The institute has approximately 10,200 full-time students, 1,140 faculty researchers and had a total budget of US$765 million in 2013, of which US$459 million was from research contracts. In 1971, the Korean government established KAIST as the nation’s first research-oriented science and engineering institution.
Furthermore, KAIST is ranked 4th on the QS WU Asian University Rankings, 13th on the QS WU Rankings in Material Sciences, 15th on the QS WU Rankings in Chemical Engineering and 17th on the QS WU Rankings in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- Host Institution: The Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea.
- Field of study: Please check full list below.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Master (4 semesters) / PhD (8 semesters) / MS-PhD Integrated (10 semesters).
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities except Korean citizens.
KAIST International Graduate Students Scholarship Benefits
The KAIST Scholarship for International Graduate Students to study in Asia provides the following benefits to selected applicants:
- Full tuition fee exemption;
- Living expenses of 350,000 KRW per month (for MS) or 400,000 KRW per month (for PhD);
- Medical Insurance;
- Additional Stipend can be available for research assistants.
Field of Study
- Natural Science : Physics, Mathematical Sciences, Chemistry, Graduate School of Quantum Science and Technology;
- Life Science and Bioengineering : Physician-Scientist Track, Medical Science and Engineering Track, Brain & Cognitive Sciences, Graduate School of Engineering Biology;
- Engineering : Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, The Robotics Program, School of Computing, Graduate School of Information Security, Kim Jaechul Graduate School of AI, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Environmental and Energy Technology Program, Bio and Brain Engineering, Brain and Cognitive Engineering, Industrial Design, Industrial & Systems Engineering, Graduate School of Data Science, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Nuclear and Quantum Engineering, RCA-KAIST Master’s Degree Program, Cho Chun Shik Graduate School of Mobility, Graduate School of Green Growth and Sustainability;
- Liberal Arts and Convergence Science : School of Digital Humanities and Computational Social Sciences, Graduate School of Culture Technology, Graduate School of Science and Technology Policy;
- Business (Daejeon Campus) : Business and Technology Management, Global Information and Telecommunication Technology Program (GDI-ITTP) Track, Global Technology and Innovation Program (GDI-GTIP) Track.
- Business (Seoul Campus) : Management Engineering.
KAIST International Graduate Students Scholarship Eligibility
To apply to this university scholarship, candidates must meet all the following requirements:
- For the Master’s Degree Program or Master-PhD Integrated program, applicants must hold or expect to hold a bachelor’s degree by February, 2024.
- For Doctoral Degree Program, applicants hold or expect to hold a bachelor’s and master’s degree before enrollment at KAIST February, 2024.
- Have foreign citizenship. Applicants who hold Korean Citizenship (dual citizenship) are not eligible to apply as foreign students.
- International applicants of Korean ethnicity, regardless of the place of birth, must additionally satisfy ONE of the two requirements below:
- NEITHER of their parents holds Korean citizenship. Those whose parent (s) has ever had Korean citizenship must additionally provide an official document supporting their renunciation of Korean citizenship and the applicant.
- The applicant must have received the ENTIRE elementary, junior high, and high school education OUTSIDE of Korea at the comparable and equivalent level of education in Korea. In this case, international schools located in Korea are not acknowledged as foreign schools. Those who completed their entire education (elementary, junior high, high school, and undergraduate) outside of Korea must additionally submit:
- the Certificate of the Facts Concerning the Entry & Exit (“출입국사실증명서”) issued by the Korean Immigration Office and
- official transcripts and graduation certificates from the schools attended.
- English is the medium language of instruction. Therefore, applicants from non-English-speaking countries must meet the language requirements. Achieve a minimum scores for TOEFL iBT (83), IELTS (6.5 band), TOEIC (720), TEPS (326).
Note : International students of Korean ethnicity who do not meet the conditions above CANNOT apply for International Admissions. Instead, they can apply through the KAIST General Admission.
For further details about KAIST International Graduate Admission, please click on this link.
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD;
- Douglas College Scholarships for International Students;
- Usask Graduate Students Scholarships To Study in Canada.
How to Apply for KAIST International Graduate Students Scholarship
There is no separate application process for the KAIST scholarship. Just check “KAIST scholarship” on the Statement of Financial Resources section of the online application system for admission. Please click on the “Apply” button below to start the application process. To submit your application correctly to this Asia scholarship please follow steps below to submit your application for admissions.
- Click on the apply button below to start the online application and complete the application for graduate admission according to the provided instructions.
- Check whether all the information is correct and save the file. Please note that after paying the application fee, you will not be allowed to modify your application and the fee will not be refunded. Therefore, you need to make sure all the information you entered is correct and final before paying the application fee.
- Pay the application fee. You can pay the application fee by credit card. The application fee is USD 80 or KRW 80,000.
- Print out your online application form. Please keep the application number for further procedures and to check the final admission decision.
- Send a hardcopy of the application with all supporting materials to KAIST. Those who do not send a hard copy of the required materials to the Admissions Office will be excluded from the evaluation process even if the online application is complete. The admissions Office post address can be printed out through the system after completing your online application.
- Check whether your package has been received. You can find out whether your package and recommendation letters have been received by the Admissions Office through the online application system. If you have any missing documents, your status will be indicated as incomplete.
- Check your e-mail at regular intervals. If necessary, the reviewing department will reach you for an interview.
The online Application deadline for the Spring 2024 intake is September 14, 2023 at 5 P.M.. Hard copies of application material should be received by the university no later than September 25th, 2023 at 6 P.M.. For more details on the KAIST International Graduate Students Scholarship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.