Those who are in an undergraduate or professional program in Canada can apply for the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship program. This scholarship program has been established in honor of Louise McKinney and aims to recognize and reward students for their academic achievements and encourage them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study.
The scholarship is awarded to undergraduate and professional programs students in educational institutions in the province of Alberta. The funding aims to assist them in the pursuit of their educational goals, and selected candidates can study in any field available at their host institution.
Louise McKinney (1868 – 1931) was a Canadian politician and women’s rights activist that was the first woman sworn into the Legislative Assembly of Alberta and the first woman elected to a legislature in the British Empire. She was one of the Famous Five who campaigned successfully for the right of Canadian women to be appointed to the Senate. A former schoolteacher and temperance organizer, she came to Alberta in 1903 as a homesteader.
- Host institution: Educational institutions in Canada.
- Fields of study: Available undergraduate programs at host institution.
- Number of grants: Up to 1,450 scholarships are awarded annually.
- Duration: one time.
- Eligible countries: Open to Canadian citizens, a Permanent resident and Protected Persons.
Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship Benefits
This North America scholarship to study in the Canadian province of Alberta (Canada) will be awarded to deserving students who applied for it. Winners of this scholarship to study at the Alberta universities will receive an award of $2,500.
Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for this scholarship, candidates must be.
- a Canadian citizen, a Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
- an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident, one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies, or
- the student’s spouse/partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary.
- enrolled full-time in the second or subsequent year of an undergraduate or professional program at a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Alberta, and
- in satisfactory academic standing as determined by the post-secondary institution.
Students are not eligible for a Louise McKinney Scholarship if they:
- has been nominated for a Jason Lang Scholarship within the same academic year
- are in a graduate program
- are an apprentice, or
- are upgrading.
- Lester B. Pearson scholarship for international students to study in Canada;
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS);
- KAUST Scholarship for Master and PhD Students.
Selection is based on academic standing. There are a limited number of scholarships available to each school and application deadlines vary by school. Questions with respect to the scholarship policy of each school should be directed to the Student Awards Office. Students who plan to change educational institutions or programs should contact the Awards Office at the institution they are currently attending to determine their eligibility.
Students studying in-province are nominated by the Student Awards Offices at participating Alberta public post-secondary schools.
To inquire about the deadline date and application process, contact the Student Awards Office of your institution. For example, the deadline to submit applications for this scholarship at the University of Calgary is September 30, 2023. To know more about the Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship to Study in Canada, please visit the university website. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.