Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the research Fellowship Program in 1980. The 2023 Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship Program is open for applicants from all parts of the world for a research stay (3 to 6 months) in Japan.
The fellowship grant is restricted to the period indicated in a grant letter. Extension/reduction of the granted period is not allowed. The invitation by MIF is limited only to a successful applicant specified in the grant letter. MIF does neither concern successful applicant’s family/dependents nor provide any assistance (visa, flight arrangements, etc.) for them.
- Host Institutions: Applicants are free to select host institutions (universities, national research institutions, or the corresponding facilities in the private sector) in which to carry out their research in Japan. However, applicants are reminded that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications.
- Fields of Study: Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are considered with first priorities.
- Number of Awards: Around 10.
- Duration: 3 to 6 months within the period between April 2024 to March 2025.
- Target Group: Open for all nationalities (Except Japanese).
Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship Benefits
Matsumae Fellowship is a fully funded program that will provide selected applicants with the following benefits:
- Allowance for research and stay (¥220,000/month)
- Insurance: Overseas travel insurance with medical treatment and death benefits is provided.
- Air transportation (a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo)
- Start-up Fund upon arrival (¥120,000)
- Study Tour: The MIF invites fellowship recipients to participate in a study tour during their fellowship to deepen their understanding of Japan.
Also Check : French Government MOPGA Scholarship for Foreigners
Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship Eligibility
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following eligibility requirements are invited to apply for the Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship. Applicants must:
- obtain a Letter of Invitation from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- hold a PhD (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- be at the age of 49 or younger at the time of application.
- have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
- Harvard University Online Courses for All;
- Skoltech Scholarship in Russia for Local and International Students;
- CSA Group Graduate Scholarship To Study in Canada.
How to Apply for the Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for the research opportunity in Japan must fill out the Application Form, prepare all required documents and submit them all together by email to [email protected].
- Application Form. Please click here to download the form in MS Word file;
- The Research Project. You must submit a research plan containing the following:
- The content, purpose, and methodology of the research
- The road map of the research project
- The benefit the research project will bring to your home country
- and (b) should be detailed based on discussions with your host professor/scholar in Japan.
- Soft Copy of Publication: Please submit only one publication (PDF) related to the research project that you intend to conduct in Japan;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) and List of Publications: Regarding the list of publications, please precisely include the authors and titles of the publications, as well as the name of the journal, page(s), and year of publication in the list. Please also highlight the title of the publication that you submit as a Soft Copy;
- Recommendation Letter: The recommendation Letter must be from your current home institution (employer) and written on its letterhead. It should testify to your academic ability and achievements and confirm the availability of study leave during your fellowship period;
- Soft copies of Academic Certificates/Diplomas for Ph.D., Master’s, and Bachelor’s Degrees If these documents are not available in English, please attach English translations (Self-translations are not acceptable);
- Invitation Letter:
- Invitation Letter must be from and signed by your host professor/scholar in Japan.
- The letter must show whether they agree to your fellowship period and the research project, grant use of facilities, and arrange your accommodations during the fellowship.
- A letter that is not written on the letterhead of the host institution and not signed by the host scholar will not be accepted.
- The documents above must be submitted as PDFs to the MIF via email.
- All documents must be typed in English.
- Inadequate documents will not be accepted.
- The following will be automatically rejected without notice.
- Emails over 10 MB in size.
- Emails with attachments with file extensions other than “pdf”.
- Emails with attachments in any compressed format such as “zip” or “rar.”
- Emails including any program files or downloadable links.
The results will be announced on the MIF website in December 2023 and MIF will send a grant letter to successful applicants.
Applications must be received by MIF at latest June 30, 2023 (Japan Standard Time). For more information about the Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.