Candidates can now apply for the Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships program. Various PhD positions to study at the Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS) have been announced for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Positions are open to both Italians and foreign students in the fields of Astrochemistry, Italian Studies and Modern Philology, Data Science, Computational Methods, and Mathematical Models for Sciences and Finance, History, History of Art. The selection is based on the academic assessment of candidates and on interviews.
The Scuola Normale Superiore is a higher educational institution in Italy. The institution has about 600 undergraduate and postgraduate (PhD) students. The university ranks first in Italy in the Per Capita Performance parameter of the “Academic Ranking of World Universities” (ARWU 2018), second among Italian universities in the “Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019”, and first in Italy in the Teaching parameter
- Host institution: Scuola Normale Superiore (SNS) in Italy.
- Fields of study: Please check list below
- Number of awards: 77.
- Duration: Four years.
- Target group: Open to all Nationalities.
Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships Benefits
For the academic year 2023-2024 the scholarship amounts to €18,043.00 inclusive of a lodging allowance. Students also have the right to free meals at the SNS facilities, or at those facilities with active agreements with the SNS, for the whole duration of the course, with the exclusion of academic vacation periods.
In addition to the scholarship, the SNS contributes to the expenses incurred by course students for formally authorized study and research activities, in Italy and abroad.
Successful applicants of the places with a specific topic and site may be given research contracts in the form of research grants or of collaborazione coordinata e continuativa (a type of open-end contract) as detailed in this web page.
Non-European Union students are reimbursed for travel expenses incurred for the start of the course, up to a maximum limit of € 1,000 and upon submission of original and valid travel documents, including boarding passes. They can also submit a motivated request for early payment of the first installment of the PhD scholarship.
Non-European Union students can request, within one year from the discussion of their thesis, the reimbursement of expenses incurred for returning to their country of origin, up to a maximum limit of € 1,000 and upon submission of original and valid travel documents, including boarding passes. This request can also be made by those who do not complete the course due to loss of place, provided that at least one year has elapsed since the beginning of the course.
Available programs and number of places for the Scuola Normale Superiore Scholarships
The Scuola Normale Superiore Scholarships is open for studies in programs listed below:
Site of Pisa
- Philosophy: 5 places
- Italian studies and modern philology: 5 places
- Classics: 7 places
- History of Art: 5 places
- History: 5 places
- Physics: 6 places, of which n.1 on the project EU ERC “ASYMOW”
- Mathematics: 6 places
- Computational methods and mathematical models for sciences and finance:7 places
- Methods and Models for Molecular Sciences: 4 places
- Nanosciences: 7 places, of which n.1 in collaboration with FPS (Fondazione pisana per la scienza) and n.1 in collaboration with CNR-Nano
- Neurosciences: 5 places.
Site of Florence
- Political Science and Sociology: 11 places
- Transnational Governance: 4 places, joint degree with Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna Pisa.
Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships Eligibility
This university scholarship welcomes applications from candidates who, irrespective of their citizenship, are highly motivated towards research. Admission to the selection process is restricted to candidates who:
- have a master’s degree or an equivalent non-Italian qualification, awarded no more than five years before the deadline for the call, that is, by 24th August 2023;
- All those planning to obtain the qualification required for admission by 31 October 2023 can also apply: if their application is successful, failure to obtain their qualification by that date will invalidate their admission;
- have no res judicata convictions for a term of imprisonment of more than three years;
- have not been subject to “expulsion”, a disciplinary sanction provided for in the educational regulations of the SNS;
- are not in possession of a Ph.D. qualification issued by an Italian university, and in any case, have not benefited from a scholarship to attend a Ph.D. program in Italy.
Admission interviews can be conducted in Italian or English. The candidate’s level of competence in the Italian and English languages must be stated in the application, with reference to the EUROPASS language grid.
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University.
- Université de Montréal International Student Scholarship;
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD.
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for this scholarship program to study in Europe should click on the apply button below and follow the given instructions to submit their application.
Faculty of Humanities : h. 23:59 (CET) of 05 June 2023.
Faculty of Sciences and of Political and Social Sciences
Spring session: h 23.59 (CET) 13 April 2023;
Autumn Session: h 23.59 (CEST) 24 August 2023.
The furthest application deadline is August 24, 2023. For more detail on the Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships, please visit the university website. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.