Application for the Skoltech Scholarship in Russia for National and International Students is now open. The scholarship aims to support international students willing to study a Master’s or PhD degree at the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) in Russia.
Skoltech is a private research and academic institute located in Moscow. Founded in 2011 with MIT’s collaboration, Skoltech aims to prepare a new generation of researchers and entrepreneurs, with the goal of solving important technological research problems that Russia and the rest of the world may face in the future.
Currently, Skoltech has 136 professors, 143 postdocs and researchers, 202 engineers and technicians and over 1,000 students. As of the end of 2018, the funding for grants and research and development (R&D) contracts exceeded 1 billion rubles and is expected to reach 1.5 billion by the end of 2019. Skoltech operates 5 joint labs with Russian and international technology leaders – Sberbank, Gazprom Neft, Huawei, Oerlikon, and Topcon.
- Host institution: Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) in Russia.
- Fields of Study: List of available programs at the university (Check list below).
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Normal duration of the programme.
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities.
Skoltech Scholarship in Russia Benefits
All applicants are automatically considered for funding (education is free of charge). Therefore, candidates who have successfully passed the admission process and are enrolled at the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology will receive a fully funded scholarship that provides the following benefits:
- Full tuition fees;
- Medical insurance;
- The standard stipend is 40,000 rubles for Master’s students;
- For graduate students, this can be up to 70,000 rubles;
- any further funding will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the admission committee.
Available Programs at Skoltech
Below is the list of available master’s degree and Ph.D. degrees at the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology
Master of Science Programs
- Data Science
- Advanced Computational Science
- Petroleum Engineering
- Photonics and Quantum Materials
- Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
- Life Sciences
- Space and Engineering Systems
- Advanced Manufacturing Technologies
- Energy Systems
- Materials Science
- Internet of Things & Wireless Technologies.
- Mathematics and Mechanics
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Life Sciences
- Computational and Data Science and Engineering
- Engineering Systems
- Petroleum Engineering
Skoltech Scholarship in Russia Eligibility
To apply for the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology scholarship, must meet the following criteria:
- Master’s programs applicants must have an appropriate Bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university.
- Doctoral programs applicants must have an appropriate Master’s degree, or its equivalent, from a recognized university.
- Applications are open to domestic and international students.
- Applicants must be in the final year of their undergraduate studies or hold a higher education degree (Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or specialist degree) with a good average point in one of the areas listed above.
- Language Requirements:
- A minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT, 450 on the TOEFL ITP, or 6 on the IELTS is required. The language certificate should be valid for 2 years after the test date.
- A TOEFL or IELTS score is not required if the applicant received a degree at a university where the medium of instruction is English.
- No exceptions are made for the policy above and only TOEFL and IELTS scores are accepted. Skoltech’s institutional code for the TOEFL iBT is 2909.
- Applicants who do not have a proof of English proficiency may take the English language proficiency test during the Selection Weekend at Skoltech (Check registration step 3 below).
Note : Skoltech receives more applications than available places. Therefore, meeting the minimum admission requirement does not necessarily guarantee admission. Submission of a General GRE score is not required for the Skoltech application. However, a high score may enhance your application. Students whose primary education is in the humanities, business, or social sciences must have significant training in a field related to one of Skoltech’s programs.
- Islamic Development Bank Scholarship for all Levels;
- Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships in Germany.
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University.
Why study at Skoltech?
Below are five reasons to apply to Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology.
- Enjoy courses and supervision under world-renowned scientists and engineers.
- Find significant freedom in choosing courses; design an individual study plan that allows you to obtain a modern education with a broad interdisciplinary component. Check out the possibility to choose between fundamental and applied profiles within the program.
- Experience an open dynamic international environment that brings together hundreds of scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs with serious ambitions. Students and professors from more than 25 countries study and teach at Skoltech. English is our language of instruction and official business.
- Discover opportunities to visit world-leading universities and international conferences. More than 1/3 of our students have spent or will spend a semester at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other top universities.
- Explore the integration of research, education, and innovation. Discover a culture of supporting students’ startups. Not enough for you? Please watch the video below.
How to Apply for the Skoltech Scholarship in Russia
There is no separate application this university scholarship. All admitted Master and PhD students are automatically considered for funding. Therefore, applicants willing to benefit from the Skoltech Scholarship must follow the steps below to get admitted at Skoltech.
Step 1: Application at Skoltech’s online portal
Familiarize yourself with the list of required documents, upload them into the application system as they become ready, and submit your application by the deadline. Please click on the Apply button below, to access the form.
Step 2: Online testing
Every candidate must take an online profile test. You will be notified by email about the specific date and time of your test. Please find sample exams here.
Step 3: Selection
The final admissions stage takes place in Moscow. You have to pass the English test on-site, or present a valid TOEFL certificate and pass an in-person interview. Extra written examinations may be required for certain programs during this time (you will be notified in advance).
- two letters of recommendation;
- and a motivation letter;
- diploma and academic transcript (if available);
- TOEFL/IELTS score (if available).
No application fee is required. The application deadlines are July 10, 2023 for Master’s degree applicants and July 3, 2023 for PhD applicants. For more detail on the Skoltech Scholarship in Russia, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.