Application for the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship programs in Belgium is now open. The VLIR-UOS Scholarship provides access to quality education in Flanders for citizens from developing countries. It offers the chance to study at Flemish universities and university colleges with a financial contribution covering tuition fees, living expenses, travel costs, and insurance. It also offers the opportunity to develop a research project in Flanders, making this an ideal choice for those looking for an international experience.
Offered by the Flemish government to international students, the VLIR-UOS scholarship is designed to support the development of advanced academic and research skills. The International Master programs (ICPs) are accredited master programs consisting of 2 or 4 semesters (60 or 120 ECTS respectively) on a subject that is relevant to or specific for development. The program supports a selection of ICPs to support candidates from eligible countries to conduct master’s degrees in Belgium.
Flanders (the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium) is a great destination for students from around the world. Studying in Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent, Hasselt or Leuven means being welcomed by an open multilingual society, with higher education that offers excellent value for money, in a financially sound area in the heart of Europe which boasts a high quality of life.
- Host Institution: Partner Institutions in Flanders (Belgium).
- Field of Study: All Master’s programs listed below.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Applicant’s program duration.
- Target group: Please check the full list below.
VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship Benefits
This scholarship program is a fully funded program that cover tuition fees, travel, insurance and living expenses (board and lodging). The scholarship is only offered for the full duration of the Master’s program (12/24 months). It is not possible to apply for a partial scholarship or an extension.
Note : Scholarship costs may change in line with government funding decisions.
Also Check : Top 12 Government Scholarships Currently Open
As of 2022 VLIR-UOS country lists will change, the following will be applicable:
VLIR-UOS partner country list (17): Benin, Bolivia, Burundi, Cuba, DR Congo, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Philippines, Indonesia, Kenya, Morocco, Peru, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam
VLIR-UOS scholarship/GM country list (29): Benin, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroun, Cuba, DR Congo, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Guinee, Haiti, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Niger, Peru, Philippines, Palestina, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.
Eligible Programs for VLIR-UOS Scholarship
VLIR-UOS supports a selection of 10 initial and 5 advanced master programs. Please find below, the one- and two-year programs with their application deadline for the current call.
Advanced masters (one-year)
- Master of Human Settlements
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management
- Master of Governance and Development
- Master of Globalisation and Development
- Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies (CADES)
Initial masters (two-year)
- International Master of Science in Agro- and Environmental Nematology
- International Master of Science in Rural Development *
- Master of Aquaculture *
- Master of Epidemiology *
- Master of Science in Food Technology
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management
- Master of Statistics and Data Science
- Master in Sustainable Development
- Master of Transportation Sciences – Road Safety
- Master of Water Resources Engineering
Note : The application deadline for all the above programs is February 1, 2024 except programs with this * symbol in front which deadline is February 28, 2024.
VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship Eligibility
In order to apply for the VLIR-UOS Scholarship, applicants must meet the following profile:
- Be a national and resident of one of the 29 eligible countries (not necessarily the same country) at the time of the application.
- The maximum age for a master program candidate is 35 for an initial master and 45 for an advanced master. The candidate cannot exceed this age on the first of January of the intake year.
- Priority is given to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, the social economy or NGOs, or who aim at a career in one of these sectors. However, master candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience can be eligible for the scholarship as well, if they provide a strong motivation and profile.
- A candidate can only submit one scholarship application per year. Candidates cannot receive any other scholarship or grant to participate in this study programme or another programme simultaneously
Note : Candidates may not have previously received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a study program and may not have enrolled in a study program at a Belgian higher education institution before January 1 of the year of intake. Additional criteria may also be imposed by individual host institutions.
- Chinese Government Scholarship at BIT for International Students;
- Emile-Boutmy Scholarship at Sciences Po for international students.
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD.
Why study in Flanders?
Flanders is a vibrant and diverse region that is rapidly becoming the educational hub of Europe. With world-class universities and a thriving international student population, Flanders offers students a unique opportunity to learn and gain experience in an inspiring environment. Furthermore, Flanders stands out for its open-mindedness and commitment to being at the forefront of a globalized world.
From its efficient public transport to its renowned cultural heritage, Flanders is a destination of choice for international students who are looking for an interesting and rewarding educational experience. Furthermore, the cost of living in Flanders is relatively low compared to other countries, making it an attractive destination to study in. You’re not convinced? Please watch the short video below for a visual preview.
How to Apply for the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship must follow the instructions below.
Find an eligible Master’s programs that meet your interest. Visit the university that provides the program’s website and apply for both admission to the program and for the scholarship itself. When you apply for the program, be sure to mention whether you wish to apply for a scholarship. Do not apply for more than one Master’s program per year.
The deadline for submitting application varies per institution and is either February 1, 2024 or February 28, 2024. Please check the Master’s programs list, for precise deadlines. For more detail on the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.